Thursday, January 6, 2011

As the Rolling Stones would put it...

Why is it that, oftentimes, we find ourselves yearning for fashion from counter seasons? When it's summer, we want to wear scarves, hats, layers! When it's winter, we want to wear crop tops, bathing suits, and sandals! Will the battle ever end? Sad to say, I think not. Perhaps about six months of anything will have someone out there crying, "why didn't I wear that more when I could have?" But as it always is, it seems we want what we cannot have.

I came to thinking about this today when I was out returning clothing that I got for Christmas; parents always think that they know your taste, and that's rarely true. While browsing the clearance rack I came across a lace crop top that sparked many ideas of being paired with high waisted Levi's and colorful bathing suit bandeaus. Then I thought about trying it on, and realized that I was wearing a scarf, jacket, sweater, and top - oh yes, this is still winter that we are in. Remember Christmas last week? So, what would be the point of buying this top now...when by the time summer rolls around it'll be considered old to me.

It's not like the stores or fashion designers really help us here, if anything, they mess with our minds even more so. Like I said earlier, remember Christmas... last week... and already the stores have out their spring lines, some even daring to put out their bathing suits. It's no wonder we're brainwashed into wanting these things when stores are shoving them down our throats left and right.

I understand that this comes off as some sort of rant by this point, but what I was trying to get to was why we always want what we can't have - fashion wise, at least. I guess that I don't really have much of an answer to it, except maybe that "if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

No comments:

Post a Comment