Monday, October 4, 2010

Hand-Eye Coordination.

In the spirit of October and Halloween, it’s time to explain the inspiration behind my blog’s title: Eye For Fashion. “A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...” better known as Ohio, I purchased the film Mozart and The Whale (for $3!). Upon watching it for the first time and seeing the character “Mozart” in the film sporting several eyeball rings, my love for eyeballs became apparent. On jewelry, that is.
(Movie still from Mozart and The Whale)
If you haven’t noticed yet I am fond of all things weird, especially in fashion. What’s more surprising than shaking hands with someone and looking down to see an eyeball staring back up at you? Not much, unless you’re meeting Edward Scissorhands for the first time.
Although I love the traditional eyeball ring, as seen in the screen shots above, it's difficult to find them outside of Ebay. However, I have spotted evil eye jewelry at several stores such as Boscovs, Macy’s, and the Piercing Pagoda. Eyeball jewelry is especially popular at boutiques, so remember to check out their jewelry section if you are interested in all things weird, too!
Certain cultures believe that the evil eye stone, whose appearance differs a bit from the traditional look of an eyeball, is believed to ward off evil and protect the one wearing the stone. Whether or not you believe this doesn’t make a difference to me; I like to believe that it wards off evil, however, I wear the pieces that I own for fun.
(Multi Colored Evil Eye Bracelet: Boscovs, White: Lucky Lady Boutique, Seaside Heights, NJ)
(Evil Eye Necklace: Shaded Vision Boutique, Point Pleasant, NJ)
From my various attempts to hunt down eyeball jewelry, I have found that the largest supply of eyeball jewelry can be found online. There are several websites dedicated solely to evil eye jewelry, two being www.evileyestore.com and www.loveandlucky.com. Ebay also provides affordable finished pieces or separate eyeball pendants and beads to make your own jewelry. Most often, self-made pieces end up being the most affordable and unique. I fully recommend Ebay for eyeball jewelry due to their vast selection that is constantly being updated. Best of all, they offer bulk prices on select items. Now, that's a deal I can't resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment